Thursday, July 9, 2009

Rosemary still kickin'!

I feel a little guilty about making zero progress on my gardening goal. But hey ... I've been busy. And avoiding it.

When my mother-in-law came to visit, she brought me a rosemary plant. Just put it in the backyard, she said. Water it occasionally. You can't kill it.

Yeah, right, I thought as I found a place for it in the sun. Watch me.

But so far, despite my best efforts, it hasn't died!

I set it down next to a lavender plant that receives midday sun next to the house. It gets a little water when Matt does the lawn twice a week.

About one a week, I remember that it's there, and guiltily head out to check on it. Every time, I expect to see it sad and brown, on its way to the organic waste trash can. Every time, it's still green and fragrant! I usually soak the poor thing in water at that point, knowing that it'll be about seven days before I find it again.

Yet, as of last Friday (see? One day to go!) it's still there! I used a handful of sprigs from it to make my rosemary butter for the roast chicken.

Obviously, I am not ready for a full-fledged garden yet. I doubt that plants grow on weekly tending, and the guilt would suffocate me. I am considering, however, picking up some tomato plants in a couple weeks. I won't go for the grown-up stuff, though. I'll hit Toys R Us and grab the planters aimed at teaching toddler's how to garden.

I'm pretty sure that's all I can handle.
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment