Monday, July 13, 2009

Pineapple-Upside-Down goodness

Pineapple-Upside-Down-Cake is the mother of all diet busters.

It's sinfully delicious, deceptively easy and unbelievably inexpensive to make.

I added the ingredients to my grocery shopping list on Saturday, and left them out on the counter: five things. I had to buy flaked coconut, two types of canned pineapple (crushed and ring), maraschino cherries and a yellow cake mix.

It took all of about 15 minutes to put the cake together (using the recipe for the layer cake here). After 45 minutes in the oven and some cooling time, it was done.

As it was my first layer cake, I had to figure out a way to even out the bottom of the layers (which, in this case, were at the top of the pan). Not too easy with an 8" pan! Eventually, I made a slice with a small kitchen knife and used dental floss to shave off the peaks ... which Matt gobbled up immediately.

Then it was just a matter of not breaking the cakes in half while I layered them. The first layer--with crushed pineapple only--went down on the platter, no problem. The second, however, was when I realized that now I not only have to not break the cake, but get it centered, too! But it worked fine, and I cut around the cake to make sure everything was symmetrical (plus, then I had scraps of gooey goodness to enjoy!).

After his first bite, Matt pointed to the cake with his fork.

"Is is eye ext ufmfay ake," he said rapturously, through a mouthful of cake.

I said no problem. Pineapple-Upside-Down Cake can certainly be my dear hubby's next birthday cake.

I left him working from home today with two slices left in the fridge. Any bets on how many are left when I come home today?
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment