Monday, July 13, 2009

Matt's Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have a confession to make.
"Matt's Chocolate Chip Cookies" aren't exactly unique. Like Phoebe, the recipe was handed down to me by my Swedish aunt, Nestle Tollhouse.

Yep, they're just the plain-Jane chocolate chippers from the back of the yellow bag.

Truly, my husband and I are not a match made in heaven. Ask me for pancakes, and you'll get a delicious batch with cinnamon swirls, vanilla flavoring and berries baked right in. When I make cookies, I melt the butter before mixing with the flour, use unusual ingredients and make them as giant, soft and chewy as they can get.

When Matt wants pancakes, however, he prefers the no-frills version. When he wants cookies, he'll beg me to color inside the lines ... just use the Tollhouse recipe and nobody gets hurt. And while I'm always disappointed at how flat and uninspiring the Tollhouse cookies invariably turn out, he will rave for hours about them. A batch doesn't last long at the Miller house!

For those of you who aren't familiar with them, here's the recipe.

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
1 cup chopped nuts

PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment