Monday, November 30, 2009

Thankful for ... Thanksgiving

As my sister-in-law so delicately pointed out last week, I "suck at being thankful."

Yes, my faithful followers (all two of them) noticed that I didn't exactly meet my goal of posting once a day for 30 days.

Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.

In my defense, though, I am thankful for a life that is too full to allow me to spend time blogging on the daily.

While I did not have a camera to record this with, I had a fantastic Thanksgiving.

Here's why:
  • For the first time in what seems like forever, I was not getting together with the in-laws for a wedding, shower, party or quick-turnaround-trip. We actually had three days to spend in each others' company, and had a fantastic time!
  • My nephew let me hold him, without crying, for the first time since he was a newborn and sleeping the whole time. He is one cute kid.
  • My sister-in-law and I made a bonding experience of going to Whole Foods to buy a loaf of French bread. We ate 7 different kinds of cheese, and tried three flavors of crackers. All in an attempt to escape the chaos of my home!
  • After about a month of stressing, my Thanksgiving preparation paid off. Everything was prepped and waiting in the fridge the morning of, leaving me ample time to hold said nephew and chit-chat with the girls.
  • My table was awesome. Every dish came out perfectly, or so imperfect it was perfect (mashed potatoes should be lumpy on Thanksgiving!). The rented table held every dish--and guest--delightfully. When I held up my glass of champagne, I was proud.
  • Everything on my table was made from scratch: Stuffing, cranberries, pies. No mixes for me this year! Incidentally, I won't ever buy canned cranberries again. It's too easy to make your own.

So, this being the last day of November, it's time to quit being so darn thankful already!

Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

  1. We had lots of fun! My mom asked me what I did to mess up the potaotes, "they were horrible!" Good thing everything else was incredibly yummy! Thanks for hosting us and the dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometime, tell Pam the story of the lumpy mashed potatoes. She will remind you of the episode of "Friends" where Ross made Monica make an extra batch of them so that he could have his favorite lumpy mashed potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suck at bein thankful too. I think I made it through about five thankful posts and gave up. Not that I'm not thankful, I'm just BUSY!

    ReplyDelete